IN MARKETING AND ADVERTISING,
my experience supports the idea that people typically buy the story before they buy the product or service.
So for a business or organization to create an effective marketing strategy, I think they first need to solidify their “organizing principle” or storyline.
Once an organization can clearly articulate who they are and what they do, then it’s much easier to communicate with the public about the products and services they offer, and why they offer them.
Using my background in Art, Writing, and Public Affairs, I help my clients organize and refresh their branding and marketing assets so they can effectively share their story and connect with their target audience using both traditional and digital media outlets.
If corporate identity or marketing communication are areas you need assistance with, I can help you
- Clarify your mission
- Tighten up your story
- Create material to share your story on multiple platforms
After you outline and structure your story, it becomes easier to polish your brand identity so it’s exciting to you and attractive to your audience.
By clarifying your story and giving it direction, you will inevitably boost your marketing energy and build your own momentum as you engage in telling others about what you do and why you do it.
FREELANCE CONTENT WRITER / GRAPHIC DESIGNER
richardf.ink, LLC / Hollidaysburg, PA / Jun ’16 – Present
For 50+ retainer and single project clients ranging from funeral and burial businesses to forensic handwriting experts and cancer advocacy organizations:
- Composed, proofread, and revised hundreds of branding messages to share on multiple digital marketing platforms and traditional marketing outlets
- Created unique Identity Systems by collaborating with clients to unify logos, fonts, colors, narrative tones, and personalities within the environments established by the clients’ mission, core values, vision, and goals
- Crafted a wide variety of marketing products including websites, social media posts, emails, print ads, radio & TV ad scripts, flyers, and direct mail materials
JMG Systems / Hollidaysburg, PA / Jan ’15 – May ’16
For 30+ clients from industries ranging from medical and engineering to foodservice and educational non-profits:
- Wrote, proofread, and edited SEO-rich web content enabling clients to better attract and connect with target audiences through their web platforms
- Researched, designed, and implemented SEO strategies that improved clients’ abilities to convert web traffic into qualified leads and customers
- Planned, developed, and launched many one-time and recurring web, email, and social media marketing campaigns for both employer and clients
46R PUBLIC AFFAIRS SPECIALIST / BROADCAST JOURNALIST
US Army / US Army Reserve / May ’05 – Jul ’11
While serving as a Non-Commissioned Officer in the Reserves and on Active Duty:
- Collected, edited, and disseminated several hours worth of broadcast material from Khost, Afghanistan in support of Operation Enduring Freedom (OEF) reaching an estimated 100M+ viewers worldwide
- Embedded with First Armored Division Public Affairs unit to produce broadcast products in Iraq and Kuwait in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom (OIF)
- Wrote copy and performed TV news anchor and morning radio host duties in Hessen, Germany for the American Forces Network – Europe (AFN) reaching an estimated daily target audience of 100K+ military personnel and their families, as well as a shadow audience of 500k+ local nationals
ST. JOHN’S COLLEGE
Aug ’12 – Dec ’13
M.A. Liberal Arts
Lookout Mt., GA
Jun ‘01 – May ‘05
ANNE ARUNDEL COMMUNITY COLLEGE
Jan '14 – Dec '14
A.A. Visual Arts
THE ART INSTITUTE OF PITTSBURGH– ONLINE
Apr ‘17 – Nov ‘17
Digital Design Diploma
UNIVERSITY OF PENNSYLVANIA – ONLINE
Jan ’19 – Jul’19
Certificate – Full Stack Web Development Bootcamp
- Business Communication
- Information Architecture
- Marketing & Branding
- Graphic Design
- Web Design / Development
- Logo Design
- Document Design
- Brochure Design
- Photo Editing
- Public Relations
- Public Speaking
• UNIFYING PRECISION & SOUL •
Imagination (vision/soul) recognizes potential
Structure (mission/precision) enables actualization
Structure (mission) – Imagination (vision) = Stasis
Imagination (vision) – Structure (mission) = Chaos
Imagination (vision) + Structure (mission) = Progress
When launching into any kind of marketing campaign, I believe there are two essential elements for producing a good marketing campaign. The creative, or imaginative, element that generates the ideas to try something new, and the rational, or structural, element that provides the framework on which an innovative campaign can be built.
Both of these elements must be addressed to achieve a desirable outcome (see formula above).
This is why my entire design process is formatted as a “workshop.” As we put our heads together, you provide your industry specific insights, and I provide my creative skills and marketing expertise. Together we will create a plan and content that will help you achieve your goals and positively influence how you and your organization are perceived by the public.
At the end, you will have the materials you need to tell your story well and to create assets that can convert audience members into supporters and supporters into champions for your organization.