IN MARKETING AND ADVERTISING,
I agree that most people typically buy a story before they buy the product or service associated with it.
So before a business or organization can create an effective marketing strategy, I think they need to identify and solidify their “organizing principle,” or storyline.
Once an organization can clearly articulate who they are and what they do, then it’s much easier to communicate with the public about the products and services they offer, and why they offer them.
I’m a freelance web writer/designer/developer with more than 15 years’ experience producing New Media content, but my expertise is in unifying the rational and imaginative elements of business communication.
Using my background in Art, Writing, and Public Affairs, I help my clients organize and refresh their branding and marketing assets so they can effectively share their story and connect with their target audience using both traditional and digital media outlets.
If corporate identity or marketing communication are areas you need assistance with, I can help you
- Clarify your mission
- Tighten up your story
- Create material to share your story on multiple platforms
After you outline and structure your story, it becomes easier to polish your brand identity so it’s exciting to you and attractive to your audience.
By giving your story clarity and direction, you will inevitably boost your marketing energy and build your own momentum as you engage in telling others about what you do and why you do it.
FREELANCE WEB CONTENT WRITER / GRAPHIC DESIGNER / WEB DEVELOPER
richardf.ink, LLC / Hollidaysburg, PA / Jun ’16 – Present
For 20+ retainer and single project clients ranging from funeral and burial businesses to forensic handwriting experts and cancer advocacy organizations:
- Created unique Brand Identity Systems by working closely with clients to unify logos, fonts, colors, tones, and personalities within environments established by clients’ mission, core values, vision, and goals
- Composed hundreds of on-brand messages to share with client audiences on multiple digital marketing platforms and traditional marketing outlets
- Crafted a wide variety of marketing products including websites, social media posts, emails, print ads, radio & TV ad scripts, flyers, and direct mail materials
WEB CONTENT WRITER
JMG Systems / Hollidaysburg, PA / Jan ’15 – May ’16
For 30+ clients from industries ranging from medical and engineering to foodservice and educational non-profits:
- Wrote SEO-rich web content enabling clients to better attract and connect with target audiences through their web platforms
- Researched, designed, and implemented SEO strategies that improved clients’ abilities to convert web traffic into tangible leads and customers
- Developed and implemented special one-time and recurring web, email, and social media marketing campaigns for both company and clients
46R PUBLIC AFFAIRS SPECIALIST / BROADCAST JOURNALIST
US Army / US Army Reserve / May ’05 – Jul ’11
While serving as a Non-Commissioned Officer in the Reserves and on Active Duty:
- Produced and disseminated several hours worth broadcast product from Khost, Afghanistan in support of Operation Enduring Freedom (OEF) reaching an estimated 100M+ viewers worldwide
- Embedded with First Armored Division Public Affairs unit to produce broadcast products in Iraq and Kuwait in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom (OIF)
- Performed TV anchor and morning radio host duties in Hessen, Germany for the American Forces Network – Europe (AFN) reaching an estimated daily target audience of 100K+ military personnel and their families, as well as a shadow audience of 1M+ local nationals
ST. JOHN’S COLLEGE
Aug ’12 – Dec ’13
M.A. Liberal Arts
Lookout Mt., GA
Jun ‘01 – May ‘05
ANNE ARUNDEL COMMUNITY COLLEGE
Jan '14 – Dec '14
A.A. Visual Arts
THE ART INSTITUTE OF PITTSBURGH– ONLINE
Apr ‘17 – Nov ‘17
Digital Design Diploma
UNIVERSITY OF PENNSYLVANIA – ONLINE
Jan ’19 – Jul’19
Certificate – Full Stack Web Development Bootcamp
- Graphic Design
- Web Design / Development
- Logo Design
- Document Design
- Brochure Design
- Photo Editing
- Business Communication
- Information Architecture
- Public Relations
- Public Speaking
• UNIFYING PRECISION & SOUL •
Imagination (vision/soul) recognizes potential
Structure (mission/precision) enables actualization
- Structure (mission) – Imagination (vision) = Stasis
- Imagination (vision) – Structure (mission) = Chaos
- Imagination (vision) + Structure (mission) = Progress
I believe there are two sides to every marketing strategy. The creative, or imaginative, element that generates ideas to try something new, and the rational, or structural, element that provides the framework on which a marketing campaign can be built. These two elements must work together to tell a complete and effective story.
When you are communicating with the public, you are telling a story. The more clearly you can articulate that story, the easier it is to connect with an audience. What I do is come alongside you and work with you to ensure that the creative content you send into the marketplace helps you achieve your goals.
In other words, I like to bring together the imaginative and structural elements of business communications to ensure you are getting as much benefit as you can from the story you tell.
I want you to be able to confidently engage with people on all your platforms knowing that there is a well constructed story and a solid funnel in place that can move your audience into becoming customers or supporters.
Additionally, I like to draw out and emphasize your differentiation, that is, “why” people should connect with you or continue a relationship with you. So I like to dig in to who your target audience is, understand what they really want, and plan for how we can best engage them with your branding and marketing content.
That is the essence of us working together. The content and strategy we develop will enable you to tell your story well and establish an experience that converts audience members into customers and customers into champions for your business. I can accomplish this goal only by working closely with you to understand your business, your goals, and your target audience.
That is why my design process is formatted as a “workshop.” As we put our heads together, you provide your industry specific insights, and I provide my creative skills and marketing expertise.
Together we will create a plan and content that will help you achieve your goals and positively influence how you and your organization are perceived by the public.